Sunday, January 2, 2011
Happy New Year!
I waited a while to post because Olivia started Rituximab infusions, and I wanted to see how she was going to handle them before posting anything. She had her last IVIG in late October and it was awful. She had a bad reaction, with itching, headaches, vomiting, etc. So Dr. Birmingham decided Rituximab was the next step. If you don't know what Rituximab (AKA Rituxan) is, it is a drug used to target B cells in the immune system. In autoimmune disease, it is supposed to shut off communications causing the autoimmunity. There are some potentially serious side-effects to the drug, which made me really uneasy about using it for her. However, she had the first two infusions and breezed through them with flying colors, and it seems to be working! Olivia has grown almost 2 inches and gained 2 pounds, and we have been able to lower her prednisone down to 8 mg a day. She hasn't complained about pain since the 2nd infusion, and I am hoping she continues to be pain-free. :) She isn't supposed to get another infusion for at least 6 months, and the dr. says hopefully she won't even need it. Thank you again for all your prayers, I am certain they are what makes all the difference. God is so GOOD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment